Billing Codes for PARAGARD
Documenting PARAGARD placement and subsequent care with appropriate coding is a key part of the billing process. The
CPT/J-codes below may be used when filing claims. Be sure to check with your patient's individual insurance carrier, as
payers vary in their claim reporting requirements.
58300 Intrauterine contraceptive device insert
CPT procedure codes do not include the cost of PARAGARD. Use the Healthcare Common
Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)/J-code, J7300, to report use of a unit.1
To complete the claim, you may also need to report:
- Drug name: PARAGARD T380A (intrauterine copper contraceptive)
- Quantity: 1
- National Drug Code (NDC) (11 digit format): 51285-0204-01
- Route of administration: Intrauterine
- How supplied: Carton of 1 sterile unit
PARAGARD is indicated for intrauterine contraception for up to 10 years.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- PARAGARD does not protect against HIV/AIDS or other sexually transmitted infections (STI).
- PARAGARD must not be used by women who are pregnant or may be pregnant as this can be life threatening and may result in loss of pregnancy or fertility.
- PARAGARD must not be used by women who have acute pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or current behavior suggesting a high risk of PID; have had a postpregnancy or postabortion uterine infection in the past 3 months; have cancer of the uterus or cervix; have an infection of the cervix; have an allergy to any component; or have Wilson’s disease.
- The most common side effects of PARAGARD are heavier and longer periods and spotting between periods; for most women, these typically subside after 2 to 3 months.
- If a woman misses her period, she must be promptly evaluated for pregnancy.
- Some possible serious complications that have been associated with intrauterine contraceptives, including PARAGARD, are PID, embedment, perforation of the uterus, and expulsion.
Click here for the full Prescribing Information for PARAGARD.
Reference: 1. Sutton K. The essential guide to LARC coding webinar handout. Webinar presented: https://live.blueskybroadcast.com/bsb/client/CL_DEFAULT.asp?Client=490885&P CAT=2791&CAT=10361. Published March 24, 2016. Accessed July 11, 2016.