Paragard is a copper-containing IUS (intrauterine system) indicated for the prevention of pregnancy for up to 10 years.
Important Safety Information
- Paragard must not be used by women who had a post-pregnancy or post-abortion uterine infection in the past 3 months; have cancer of the uterus or cervix; acute pelvic inflammatory disease (PID); an infection of the cervix; an allergy to any component (including copper); or Wilson's disease.
- If a woman misses her period, she must be promptly evaluated for ectopic pregnancy.
- Possible serious complications that have been associated with IUSs are PID, embedment, perforation of the uterus, and expulsion.
- Paragard must not be used by pregnant women as this can be life threatening and may result in loss of pregnancy or infertility.
- Menstrual cycles may become heavier and longer with intermenstrual spotting. Bleeding may be heavier than usual at first.
- Paragard does not protect against HIV or STIs.
Please see accompanying Full Prescribing Information.